Why Cabaana? – Part 1

By Ganpy

The Beginning

Happiness

About 75% of one’s job success is predicted by optimism level, social support system at work and his/her ability to see stress as a challenge as opposed to a threat. It is only the remaining 25% that is predicted by the individual’s IQ. And since most of us follow a scientifically broken formula of defining happiness in relation to success, we seem to be in a constant chase of happiness. Instead of saying we would be happy if we are successful, we should perhaps focus on the present and see how we can be happy right now. The happiness advantage, as scientifically proven seems to have a direct impact on our brains by increasing creativity, intelligence, energy level and by positively impacting how we respond to stress, thus increasing our overall productivity.

According to the longest study ever conducted on Human Happiness, a study which is still ongoing and one in which after 75 years, they have enough data to draw some conclusions, Human Happiness is really all about healthy relationships. This may seem bewildering to most, as we have always associated other quantitative factors with happiness. Such as wealth and health, in that order. Robert Waldinger, Director of Harvard Adult Study, says that it is not just the quality of relationships that matters but also the closeness of these relationships for increased happiness.

We have been doing our own qualitative study on workplace happiness for the past few years. Granted, we don’t have a scientific approach to our study, as we have been relying largely on our group of researchers observing and collecting data in a disorganized way, mostly in terms of direct anecdotes and paraphrased ones. We have been collating this data in a way we could use for our interest. When we launched our first mobile solution, employee engagement was a topic that fascinated us quite a bit and that was the beginning of this journey of ours to understand what causes employee disengagement at workplace other than the obvious.

A fews years later since we launched that informal study, here we are. At the cusp of launching our brand new solution in the next few months. Our passion and urge to create Cabaana came directly from the findings of our disorganized study. The study may have been disorganized but our findings are very conclusive and we feel vindicated by the Harvard study.

Well, our conclusion is this. Other than the obvious reasons such as compensation and benefits that motivate an employee to give his/her best at their workplaces and to stay engaged, surprisingly (or not so surprisingly), we also found out that there are critical soft factors that are equally and in many cases, more important for an employee to stay engaged or to stay motivated to give his/her best.

They are:
1) workplace environment (culture, office space, team dynamics, etc.)
2) appreciation by coworkers — peers & leaders
3) most importantly healthy interaction with coworkers

It’s safe to conclude that (2) and (3) are essentially the same as Harvard Study’s findings, when applied in the context of a workplace environment.

So, interaction is the key to a healthy workplace. And healthy interaction promotes happiness, which in turn has a direct impact on employee engagement, thereby increasing productivity. Simple. Right?

Huh. How we wish the approximately 70% of the currently disengaged global workforce can be made to engage fully, applying the above formula! Now, if only someone can give us the formula for creating healthy interactions at workplace…..

No. We realize it is not that simple. But, a complex solution doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try. Do you agree?

(To be continued)